**NEW** Service Bulletin SB078-0722

RZavala's picture

Forums: 

During Oshkosh Conrad presented a New and improved Nose Drag Link sample for all Lancair IV/ IV-P/ Legacy models. The design change was incorporated in order to avoid any wear or deformation caused by the bronze bushings, which caused binding to the over center links limiting the function of the pivot and potentially causing retraction of the nose gear upon touchdown. Lancair has officially tested and verified the functionality of the new design.

Attached you will find the New Service Bulletin which will be posted to the website by next week, however, I wanted the Forum to be the first to see the New Released SB and Pictures of the completed Links!

Please call or email me directly with any questions or place your orders.

***20 Sets will be available the second week of September with half of them already claimed.***

SB078-0722 Nose Gear Drag Links - Please see attached for all the details!

Call me directly 830-900-7032 or email roxanne [at] lancair.com

Attachments: 

Regarding that "New and

Regarding that "New and improved Nose Drag Link" for all Lancair IV/ IV-P/ Legacy models; I am just verifying that this does not relate to any ES models with fixed strut?

Thanks,

James Munafo Jr.

RZavala's picture

James,

James,

Yes, that is correct. This would only be for a model with a retract nose gear.

Thank you,

Roxanne

Who designed the fix and who

Who designed the fix and who has verified need/efficacy?   What is the price?

As far as I can tell, the only gear "retraction" or what sounded more like a structural failure was one where the linkage bolts broke or otherwise failed, and I have only heard or read about one incident.   Can you further clarify what the failure mode is?   Are there recorded incidences of the nose gear hydraulically retracting on touch down as inferred in the SB notification?   

rpastusek's picture

John

John

I have documented 10 inadvertent nose gear retractions upon landing in the past 2 years within the Legacy and IV model Lancairs.  Several, but not all, were the result of rapid wear or incorrect installation of bronze bushings at the pivot point between the upper and lower drag links. If you have bronze bushings installed in your nose gear linkage, I personally urge you to remove them. These parts will fail. This is not the result of a hydraulically actuated retraction, but a failure of the over-center down-lock mechanism.

Upon finding this problem during LOBO’s ongoing assessment of accident/incident data, we asked the Lancair Corporation for help in June 2022. Conrad Huffstutler took immediate action to design and produce improved lower drag links for the Legacy and IV series Lancairs. Conrad discussed this with all Lancair owners who attended the LOBO forum at Air Venture; you are reading the notice now that parts are available. 

I’d be pleased to discuss this with anyone wishing to understand this issue better. 
Bob Pastusek, LOBO Secretary

757-286-4802

Roxanne,

Roxanne,

I had replaced my original drag links with the "improved" version with the bushings per SB077-0518.  I did not have any noticeable ware on the originals but replaced them to prevent the known problems associated with them.  Now that the brass bushings version is found to be defective, is it recommended that I put the original version back on until I get the latest version?

Thanks,

Ken

RZavala's picture

Good Morning Mr. Kellner,

Good Morning Mr. Kellner,

We will have an order ready for you next week.

rpastusek's picture

John et al, 

John et al, 

In my previous post in this subject, I urged you to remove the bronze bushings in the nose gear lower drag links if you had these parts installed. 
A sharper guy than me pointed out that if you simply remove the bronze bushings-without replacement-and reassemble the drag link assembly, the nose gear will almost surely retract upon landing—pretty much guaranteed!!

What I should have said is: remove the bronze bushings and lower drag links that hold them, and replace per SB078-0772 with the modified lower drag links soon to be available from Lancair.

I HOPE none of you took me strictly at my word!!

Bob

RZavala's picture

Good Morning,

Good Morning,

This new design was thought out by Conrad Huffstutler and Diego Lopez ( Engineer) 

The SB will be $950 

Post a Reply

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Each email address will be obfuscated in a human readable fashion or, if JavaScript is enabled, replaced with a spam resistent clickable link. Email addresses will get the default web form unless specified. If replacement text (a persons name) is required a webform is also required. Separate each part with the "|" pipe symbol. Replace spaces in names with "_".
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h1> <h2> <h3>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Each email address will be obfuscated in a human readable fashion or, if JavaScript is enabled, replaced with a spam resistent clickable link. Email addresses will get the default web form unless specified. If replacement text (a persons name) is required a webform is also required. Separate each part with the "|" pipe symbol. Replace spaces in names with "_".
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Attachments
Files must be less than 512 MB.
Allowed file types: jpg jpeg gif png txt doc docx xls xlsx pdf ppt pptx pps ppsx odt ods odp mp3 mov mp4 m4a m4v mpeg avi ogg oga ogv weba webp webm.