New to the forum so hello to all...I have been flying my current turbo Mooney for close to 20 years....love the plane and have taken it north of the Artic Circle, the Yucatan Pennisula, multiple trips into Baja, Mexico and across the states but I want ot go faster! My Mooney will give me 175 KTAS at 18k running LOP on 9 gph which is not too shabby. It is intercooled with a Merlyn wastegate and yes, I use the speed brakes in descent but my wife and I don't really like the masks and forget flying our dog that high. I have been looking at upgrades from our current mount. I love the Mooney but I think the company missed the market when they ommitted a non-pressurized model and no other certified maker can give me the speed I desire. I also want a new design. Composite and no rivets.... My wife has mandated that any replacement would also have to be 4-place. My useful load with empty tanks is a paltry 920 pounds and my plane carries 72 gal so it really is useful for 2 people plus baggage on full tanks. The Cirrus, while nice, doesn't get me much more than I already have for the additional cost. Of the Experimental market, the Vans lines are nice but frankly, ugly. Beyond those are the "odd lot" models withrelatively small or non-existant fleets. Hence, the Lancair line! I can spend up to $500k which knocks out the Evo and LX-7. The 320 and Legacy are 2 passenger so a no-go from the Boss as are the Mako and Barracuda. So the IVP jumps out but I have some group questions;
1) For all practical purposes, insurance is unobtainable at the premiums quoted. How many of you fly "naked"?
2) At 32 pounds/sq foot wing loading, the IVP is not a trainer and quite lethal to a novice. Unlike the Mooney, the IVP cannot be safely stalled and requires a relatively high approach speed. It is an intimidating machine for sure. How was transition training?
3) What percentage of fuel do most carry or are full tanks the rule of thumb?
4) Do the pressurization, air conditioning or landing gear systems cause maintenance headaches?
5) As an IMC platform, how does the AP hold? Is it stable or "squirrely" in IMC?
6) How effective is anti-icing?
7) Are good maintenance shops abundant or are they tough to find?
8) How well do the tanks hold fuel? Are bladders and wet wings available as a build option or only bladders and do they tend to leak?
Thank all for responses.....at the early stages and not in a hurry but understand to find the right one takes time...