28,000 feet -- Nowhere to go

Forums: 

Sender: <marv [at] lancaironline.net>
Subject: 28,000 feet -- Nowhere to go
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 13:45:11 -0400
To: <lml [at] lancaironline.net>

I have never replied to any posting to the LML but I think this is one time I can really offer some insight.   I have 17 years of military flying experience  -- I flew as a door gunner on CH-46 Helicopters (800 hours) in the USMC and as loadmaster on C-130H2 in the US Air Force (2500 hours), with the latter being a pressurized aircraft.  Furthermore, I also have another 2000 hours as pic in pressurized aircraft -- Beechcraft Dukes and Lancair 4P's. 

As part of my C130 qualification, I was required to go through the pressurization chamber every 4 years.  The purpose of the pressurization chamber is to identify our individual hypoxic symptoms.  For some people it becomes confusion and other become nauseous.  We attended a ground school prior to entering the pressurization chamber so that we would stay current on what hypoxia is, how it happens, and what are the symptoms -- we didn't just walk into the pressurization chamber.  While in the pressurization chamber we were required to execute repetitive tasks while they instructor drop the "aircraft" pressure.  As I just wrote, confusion is the most common symptom for most people but nausea can occur in others, too.  As we conducted our repetitive tasks it soon became clear that the simplest tasks were becoming increasingly difficult to concentrate and execute as well as remembering the next task.  We had been trained to recognize the symptom so the next immediate thing to do was to go on oxygen.

Hypoxia is insidious so it is very, very important that everyone who flies a pressurized aircraft understand their individual symptoms.  Ultimately, if you don't recognize the symptom and take corrective action, you will lose consciousness.  At the altitude this gentleman was flying he only had seconds to recognize his symptoms before he was unable to think and act coherently -- you won't get two minutes to recognize your hypoxic symptom.   It's easy to speculate on what he did or didn't do but I suspect that he wasn't aware of his own symptoms as they relate to hypoxia and he quickly went into a state of confusion before he could make coherent decisions.  

My recommendation is that EVERYONE who flies a pressurized aircraft experience the pressurization chamber -- not just once -- but on a regular interval because as you age, even if you are very fit, the onset of hypoxia will happen quicker resulting in the symptoms will occurring sooner.  It’s imperative that a pilot know when they’re suffering from hypoxia; otherwise, they’re rolling the dice when they fly a pressurized aircraft at the flight levels.

Jay Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From: Lancair Mailing List [lml [at] lancaironline.net]">mailto:lml [at] lancaironline.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 5:00 AM
To: Lancair Mailing List
Subject: lml Digest #4737

Lancair Mailing List Digest #4737

1) Prop Boots

by "jwilless [at] itd-nc.com ()

" <jwilless [at] itd-nc.com ()

>

2) 28,000 feet NO WHERE TO GO BUT DOWN

by PETER WILLIAMS <peterpawaviation [at] hotmail.com ()

>

3) TIME TO PASSING OUT

>

4) 28,000 feet NO WHERE TO GO BUT DOWN? #2

>

5) FLIGHT LEVEL REALITY  OX MASK

>

6) Re: Right Fuel Tank Probe

by <marv [at] lancair.net ()

>

7) Crossbow ADAHRS Manual

by Robert R Pastusek <rpastusek [at] htii.com ()

>

8) Re: Crossbow ADAHRS Manual

by <marv [at] lancair.net ()

>

9) Re: Crossbow ADAHRS Manual

by "Jay Phillips" <jayph [at] fastairplane.net ()

>

10) Re: Crossbow ADAHRS Manual

by Steve Richard <steve [at] oasissolutions.com ()

>

11) Re: Crossbow ADAHRS Manual

by John Barrett <2thman1 [at] gmail.com ()

>

12) Re: Crossbow ADAHRS Manual

by Robert R Pastusek <rpastusek [at] htii.com ()

>

This digest is sent to you because you are subscribed to

the mailing list <lml [at] lancaironline.net ()

>.

For archives and help click http://mail.lancaironline.net:81/Lists/lml/List.html

LML website: http://www.lancaironline.net/maillist.html

Post a Reply

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Each email address will be obfuscated in a human readable fashion or, if JavaScript is enabled, replaced with a spam resistent clickable link. Email addresses will get the default web form unless specified. If replacement text (a persons name) is required a webform is also required. Separate each part with the "|" pipe symbol. Replace spaces in names with "_".
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h1> <h2> <h3>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Each email address will be obfuscated in a human readable fashion or, if JavaScript is enabled, replaced with a spam resistent clickable link. Email addresses will get the default web form unless specified. If replacement text (a persons name) is required a webform is also required. Separate each part with the "|" pipe symbol. Replace spaces in names with "_".
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Attachments
Files must be less than 512 MB.
Allowed file types: jpg jpeg gif png txt doc docx xls xlsx pdf ppt pptx pps ppsx odt ods odp mp3 mov mp4 m4a m4v mpeg avi ogg oga ogv weba webp webm.