360 MKII New Builds Coming with some trick mods.

Forums: 

So, after watching for DECADES I am finally building a kit. Since 1988 I've wanted a lancair and the kids are grown.......

A little back story. I am a Texas A&M Graduate. Yes, an Aggie Engineer. I flew models including quarter scale and Pattern Ships as a kid. Probably built over 50 planes...

I decided to build a 360 mkii because frankly, the Legacy kirs are too expensive. Yes, I said it... they are priced too high.

I plan to build a 360 with a few very particular mods and upgrades And I have created a Video Channel on YouTube that I will be filling with build information, nostalgia, guest speakers, discussions about safety, avionics, modifications and upgrades.

What will be special about this 360?

• MK2 Tail
  • Outback Gear
  • Zavatson Brakes
  • Zavatson Cowling
  • Zavatson 3 piece Outback gear doors
  • Forward tilt canopy with emergency egress bolt pin release system.
  • Carbon fiber torque tubes
  • Carbon fiber dash panel and glare shield.
  • Custom Carbon fiber seats with Alcantara fabric and molded headrests.
  • Carbon fiber brake pedals
  • UL520T Engine with Full FADEC on Avgas or 93 octane pump gas.
  • Custom engine mount.
  • Airmaster AP545CTF-SNR68JE prop 4 blade. Explained below.
  • Wing tip extensions with 5 gallons each
  • Custom wing fins on tips.
  • Beluga Style fuselage mods per Tom McNerney.
  • CFD analysis in Ansys
  • Pushbutton start
  • Glass Cockpit
  • Tail Number N-97AG already reserved for 97 Texas Aggie...#whoop.

• Other mods
  • Hakan Fowler Flaps mod which lowers stall to around 60 knots. Very effective.
  • -7 degree reflexes flaps.
  • Filled Flap cusp to reduce lift in reflex mode.
  • Gap seals
  • Custom cooling fir UL turbo and Intercooler.
  • Custom baffling.
  • Some 3D Printed parts. Courtesy of www.kraftwurx.com 
  • Custom overhead console
  • OLED rear view mirror with camera for Taxi 
  • Retract bay cameras 
  • Hydraulic accumulator backup for gear.
  • Hall effect sensors for retracts and mechanical switches for redundancy
  • Autopilot
  • Potentially two cool mods:

Split rudder speed brake. More to come on this. Like the speed brakes on the Space shuttle.

PID loop cooling servos. Using an arduino, particle nano or other micro controller with servos and retracting baffles to automatically manage cooling based on CHT. The system will use a PID loop controller to regulate cooling automatically like your home does with the AC only faster reacting.... this will minimize pilot workload.

The reason for the 4 blade AP545CTF-SNR68JE prop system is high altitude cruise. The UL520T engine is a 320ci. 6 cylinder turbocharged engine. It is not just normalized but is actually "boosted" slightly with about +4 psi MAP. This gives the engine 220HP and 415 lb-ft of torque. This translates into a torque monster at 75% power still making high torque. The higher torque allows higher pitch angles on the Sensenich SNR68JE profile blades which you'll notice are narrow. 

What does this mean? At 75%  rated power, the engine will produce about 165hp and 400lb-ft of torque. When combined with the mods and at 15,000ft density altitude, estimates put cruise at 265mph on about 22 mpg. At 100% throttle it is 297 mph cruise on 17 mpg. With a few tweaks, we might see 300mph in a fully digital ignition, computer controlled engine.

Along the way I will be making videos of the build, talking with other lancair owners and hopefully finding sponsors to help me get this done. Any modifications I make will be well documented and shared with everyone so you can see what I do and how.

I'm looming forward to the next year or two making a super slick airplane - but actually 2 at once with my best friend also building one at the same time.

Watch and Subscribe here: 

https://youtube.com/c/ChrisNormankraftwurx

Post a Reply

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Each email address will be obfuscated in a human readable fashion or, if JavaScript is enabled, replaced with a spam resistent clickable link. Email addresses will get the default web form unless specified. If replacement text (a persons name) is required a webform is also required. Separate each part with the "|" pipe symbol. Replace spaces in names with "_".
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h1> <h2> <h3>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Each email address will be obfuscated in a human readable fashion or, if JavaScript is enabled, replaced with a spam resistent clickable link. Email addresses will get the default web form unless specified. If replacement text (a persons name) is required a webform is also required. Separate each part with the "|" pipe symbol. Replace spaces in names with "_".
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Attachments
Files must be less than 512 MB.
Allowed file types: jpg jpeg gif png txt doc docx xls xlsx pdf ppt pptx pps ppsx odt ods odp mp3 mov mp4 m4a m4v mpeg avi ogg oga ogv weba webp webm.